Saturday, April 17, 2010

Shaft

This movie was pretty good. I still didn't like it as much as I enjoyed Vanishing Point.
When we got talking in the beginning of class I was preparing my self for a lot of violence and sex in this movie. Then when we got done with it, it didnt have as much action in it as I wanted. Yeah a few guys died, a the bottle over the guys head, guns flying everywhere. But it didn't have the same effect, Shaft always being one step ahead of everyone made it less exciting. I did like how he always had a comment, for everyhing that got said to him that mand had something to say. He was always on his toes with his comments.
There was a lot of stereo typing in this movie too. The mafia guys were all white, the cops were white, the bad guys were black, and Shaft was black. The way woman were treated in this movie was another reflection of how black men treated them. "I'm going to get laid hahahaha" he really just liked having sex, not a relationship. If there was any violence it seemed to be from the black guys, and the black guys were a lot bigger, stronger than the white guys. The white guys were all running around like chicken's with their heads cut off, while the black guys are always one step ahead of the police.
I guess I'm not really shure what else to talk about this movie. It was ok, but it really didn't stand out to me. I didn't think there was a lot to really talk about. It was a racism stereotypical movie. With a little bit of suspense, and kidnapping. I don't know, I guess I'm just drawing a blank with what to talk about.

1 comment:

  1. It's perhaps most useful to look at this movie as expressive of a historical moment in America, and also of a particular type of filmmaking. The reading might have given you more to work with.

    ReplyDelete