Friday, February 12, 2010

The Femme Fatale

I really enjoyed this movie. I loved how in the beginning of the movie Dr. McRae said this is wasn't really a Femme Fatale movie because Laura was already dead when we come into the movie. I really fell for it. I thought that she was dead. Then after she came back, I realized that she is so much like a Femme Fatale. She gets all of these men to love her for her beauty. Not one of them knows who she is, or what she even wants out of life. They just fall for her because she is beautiful and she doesn't need to show them anything about who she is. She is just a shiney object to them, and it doesn't even seem like she cares. She is a very fake character, throughout the whole movie I didn't trust something about her. The way she has mulitple men, the way she lied about the radio not working, the way she didn't act very suprised about the murder in her apartment.
Once again, I'm not very good at this whole film lingo. I did like the idea that was talked about in class about the triangle concept. Once we talked about it, it made alot more sense to me. The dynamic of having Laura, the portrait, and McPerson in a triangle shape on the screen made him "closer" to the portrait. He wasn't in love with the alive Laura, he was in love with the idea of Laura. Also, right before that I loved the shot of him asleep with the bottle of liqour right by his face, that was when I thought that it was just a dream when she walked in.
I suppose that is all for now.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't hear about this "Triangle" concept, but I had thought about Macpherson loving only the portrait, but I got the vibe that it translated over to the human Laura as well. I don't doubt, however, that it started with an infatuation with her through the portrait. Like you said, maybe it was made to seem like a dream when she walked in initially, and the detective was living this dream from then on. It was really interesting to see all of these men so into this one woman without her truly giving them much reason to be, besides a cute face and some status.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your observations are really interesting! I'm curious though, as to why you interpret Laura as 'getting' men to react to her, rather than focusing on the men who behave in obsessive, predatory or murderous ways toward her. Actually, what I said was she wasn't a femme fatale because she wasn't particularly dangerous, not because she's already dead. How do you incorporate the reading into your observations?

    ReplyDelete