Sunday, January 31, 2010

Citizen Kane

Ok, so I'm new at all of this film stuff, and I don't really understand a lot of it. But I am trying to learn all the language. I had a really hard time with this movie. I guess I wasn't sure what I was expecting going into this class. I didn't really care for the movie itsself but when we all got talking about the different scenes in the movie, and how they related to this idea of looking more closely at a movie it made more sense to me. I thought that this movie was a good movie to start our class out and to get us into all the different ideas of film. I realize now why we used this movie to begin our study of film. The first word that we learned was deep focus, having everything in the shot being in focus, and I think if I would have watched this movie without thinking about it, I would have never made that connection. Then we read the article, and it made the connection even stronger. It helped me see things from someone else's point of view, and be able to think back on the movie to what he was talking about. It gave me the chance to think about different scenes and see how they looked through the eyes of someone who knows more about what they are talking about. I would have no idea where to begin talking about film and the different ways the camera was focused and everything, but I think I will get better. I'm sorry if this blog is boring and not helpful at all, but I'm still very new at this so the next ones will be a lot better I promise.

1 comment:

  1. This is fine! Just go for it. Go deeper. Tell me exactly what you saw, what you found interesting, annoying, or noteworthy, and then connect up your observations with what you read and class discussion. See what kinds of connections you can make from there.

    ReplyDelete